About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Sunday 26 July 2015

Grumpy little mystery bird








I came across this strange little fledgling down by the canal. At first I thought it might be a young robin that had recently left the nest.

Then it turned its grumpy face to the front and showed a strongly speckled breast.

Clearly a fledgling - note wispy 'chick' feathers



This is mum (or dad) complete with a large caterpillar:
Mystery solved by the presence of attentive parents: they are song thrushes.

Common when I was growing up .... now only rarely seen. This will be their second brood of the year. Lots of juicy insects along the canal sides to feed the brood.

No comments:

Post a Comment