About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Thursday 5 December 2013

The Land of the Long White Cloud 6: The Birds of Banks Peninsula

The road to the old whaling settlement at Peraki Bay descending into the mist
Oikanes Bay - not a whaling settlement but a place where whalers settled with their Maori wives

A black-backed gull faced with a closed clam

Takes it into the air and drops it on the wet sand until...

lunch is served

A variable oystercatcher (its mate chased me away - I must have been close the the nest)

The Pukeko or purple swamp hen


Australian crested grebes among the ducks (the grebes are a rare native species)


Californian Quail (male)


No comments:

Post a Comment