About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Saturday 9 April 2016

It's duckling time!

At first I thought that she was poorly.

She was sitting at the base of the old hollow tree with her wing at a funny angle and kept dozing off. (I started to plan what I might do with a sick duck: where I might be able to take her and, if that failed, where I might keep her - and whether my wildlife first aid guide covered ducks).


A sick duck?

Then she woke up, shifted her position and a little head looked out from under her. Then another and suddenly there were half a dozen mini-mallards at her feet which she had been sitting on and shielding with her wings.

The ducklings emerge
These are the first ducklings of the year down on the canal. A little while later they take to the water....





It's tough bringing up six - especially as a single parent - but the canal offers lots of little hiding places and even some handouts from the locals and visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment