About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Saturday 6 June 2020

Meeting Young Badger Cubs

Sometimes natures comes to you!

So, I am minding my own business walking back towards my home after ranging out one evening and I pause because there is a unusual rusting behind me. I stay very still and then one, two, three badger cubs come towards me across the grass. The photos are not great as this is at dusk.

They notice me and speed across the path into the safety of the dense vegetation opposite, Then a minute or two later a fourth one - a brother or sister - also hurries by along the same route.

These little guys were about half the size of an adult (maybe the size of a small cat) and would probably have been born in February. There were no adults in sight and they are now semi-independent.

But this is not the end of the story.



I continue to stand still and a little badger head comes back out of the vegetation. He or she looks towards me and then slowly approaches until he or she is at my feet looking at me (as you can see in the last photo).





The cub stands there for a while and then, using my special animal voice (you know the one that we all have), I ask him or her what they want and note that I'm not their mum. The pup seems a little cross at this and bristles before turning around and quickly making an exit back into the vegetation bordering the path.

What was going on? Well it may be that my grey trousers and brown jacket made me look like an adult badger (or maybe I smell like an old badger) or perhaps the little one was just curious.

I guess I will never know but it was a special moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment