About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Thursday 20 August 2015

Battle of the badgers - oh no!

The night before last, the neighborhood was woken up by badger loudly 'snickering' and screaming.It was about 11.30, which means I would have been asleep for at least an hour.

I shone my torch out of the window to see what was happening and to try to break it up, and the badgers which had been fighting on my lawn retreated to the hedgerow behind. However, the fighting, judging from the noise, continued for some time, growing fainter as they moved away.

Earlier - before I went to sleep - a badger cub had been quietly feeding on the lawn.

The first short film shows two badgers fighting - but silently.

The second does not show very much as by this point they are in the hedgerow but you can hear the extraordinary sounds.




My guess from the literature is that this is a territorial battle and a new badger was trying to move in.

Badger fights can result in terrible injuries and even death.

Last night no badgers came into the garden - the first time this has happened since the Spring and all the snacks and drinks were untouched.



No comments:

Post a Comment