About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Saturday 28 February 2015

Badger's back!

The 'fridge was full and I had some nice cheese that I could not squeeze in ....so, I left it in the garden over night (where it was suitably cold). It was 'safely' sealed in a plastic box.

Something broke the box open and ate it all! No a crumb left!

'My badgers' - featured in this blog last year - have been missing for many months. I think my neighbours might have accidentally blocked their route in but the cheese-theft-indicated something was happening. So I set up my camera trap and over the last few nights a lone badger (up to four visited last year together) has come into the garden several times each night. He (and I think it is a male) comes as early as 20.30pm and as late as 04.00am.

However, he is not alone .... and he may not be the cheese thief. Here is what the camera-trap caught:

badger - facing right

badger - facing left

There is some pet cat action through the night too:


But what is this?



Here's a better shot of the same animal:

It's a red fox.

What makes this all the more surprising is that there has been no sign of foxes here previously.(Including never being caught before on the camera trap). This may be a roving youngster looking to set up his own territory.


Meanwhile, it is breeding time for the badgers.The cubs are born in the dens this month but will not be seen above ground until the Spring.

Welcome back Badger!

No comments:

Post a Comment