About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Sunday 3 August 2014

Oahu Calling

Figurehead on Hawaiian racing canoe
So we are going to leave the badgers and the cygnets for a few days and head across the planet to somewhere far away - in fact to pretty-much the opposite side of the planet.

I am in Hawaii for a meeting about marine debris but lucky person that I am, first I have time for a jet-lagged look at the Main City of Oahu - Honolulu and I know I am truly here because one of the local roads is closed to allow for filming of the hardy perennial TV series Hawaii Five Oh!

Here are a few views around the district to the West of Waikiki:

White terns or Manu-o-ku - seen in Magic Park on the seafront of Honolulu - a 'threatened' species

Common Myna (introduced from India to control pests in 1865

A man who loves little doves - he had attracted this large flock in Magic Park

Here's one of them - the diminutive zebra dove


View from Magic Park looking across at Diamond head (extinct volcano) 

And what do we do in Hawaii? We surf, dude!
Like this!




No comments:

Post a Comment