About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Wednesday 13 June 2018

Climbing the Pilgrim Monument

Just before I left Provincetown I found a new minutes to climb to the top of the Pilgrim Monument which dominates the town skyline and, as I saw for myself the day before, can be seen from far out to sea. 

The tower is atop a hill and at just over 250ft is the highest granite structure in the USA. It was built between 1907 and 1910 and commemorates the first landfall of the Pilgrims in 1620, and the signing of the Mayflower Compact in Provincetown Harbor. 


On August 20, 1907, President Theodore Roosevelt officiated at the laying of the cornerstone.



Ground floor - looking out on the town

The way to the top.

Then ways bear sponsorship plaques - this one from the Society of Mayflower Descendents 
 The views from the top:
View of the piers and harbour




Whale Watching Tour boats at the pier

No comments:

Post a Comment