About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Thursday 1 January 2015

Dragons for the New Year

I cannot resist sharing just a few more photographs from my visit to the Galapagos Islands last November. This time the focus is exclusively on the marine iguanas which are pretty much ubiquitous around the coasts of the Islands. The bigger ones (well over a meter/yard) are apparently the males and they tend to have a more ruddy hue.... except on the Island of Floreana where they are all rather reddish (something to do with diet).

And if they are not the origins of dragons I will eat my old green tilly hat - or I would do if it had not gone missing from my luggage on the way home.

Anyway these marine dragons, swim by lashing their long tails and are mainly indifferent to people but, if irritated, they sneeze salty snot at you (clearly dragon-fire).

They bask in the sunshine on the sand, rocks and even the pavement in the main town and when warm enough swim out to sea to graze on seaweeds... not entirely dragonish that vegetarian diet but I am sure it is very nourishing.

Basking on the rocks of Floreana

warmed up and off to sea
across the warm sand
through the shallows

and away through the waves!



Fast through the mangrove roots

handsome is as handsome does

No comments:

Post a Comment