About Me

My photo
Live for today but work for everyone's tomorrow! Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of any organisation/institution I am affiliated with.

Sunday 24 August 2014

Hot and humid in Malta

I don't know what this is about but it is a great image - on a semi-derelict building on the sea front in Paceville in Malta
My mum tells me that I was last in Malta when I was about nine. I remember it being sunny and warm but I suspect no where near as warm and close as it is now (33 C and 73% humidity).

(Probably the Simmonds family holidayed in September or October, as mum and dad worked through the main summer period, and this is August - the peak of the heat and tourism here.)

Anyway, I have some vague memories of being scared when snorkeling by a huge jellyfish (a big pale globe of jelly that loomed up out of the gloom) and of rocky shores and closely-packed yellow stone buildings around narrow roads. I think I may be mainly remembering the old town of Valleta. This time I am in Paceville a few miles further north and party-central for young visitors from around Europe.

I am here for just a few days for my first meeting of the Council meeting of the European Cetacean Society.

Here are some views (of Paceville not the ECS Council):

Harbour View at sunset

Traditional fishing boat

The Jellyfish are still here - the poster
encourages reporting.

And it seems I was right to be concerned all those years ago!

Another local harbour

A view across Paceville to the private beach of the Intercontinetal hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment